The village of Burrawang lies on a ridge between the Wingecarribee valley, and the edge of the plateau of the Highlands towards Fitzroy Falls, just a few kilometers west of Robertson.
A romantic story has it that the first inhabitants were a young couple who trekked across the countryside and settled there. In fact, the first settlers moved into the area with the opening up of the Yarrawa Brush, and the Robertson Land Acts of the 1860s.
Burrawang was a private village, established in 1865. The first community buildings were in Church Street, near Dale Street (where the first local agricultural shows were also staged.)
The surrounding land was originally covered with dense scrub and forest which, when cleared, provided rich pasture and horticultural land. (The visitor today can see the rich red volcanic soil in ploughed fields.)
By the 1870s there were hundreds of new landholders, and the town grew rapidly to provide for them.
Catholic Church (1875)
There were several inns (one, now a private house, can be seen on the corner of Hoddle and Church Streets); a general store (still existing); bank (today in bad repair, a house); schoolhouse (now beautifully restored); and several churches (in Church Street near Range Street, and down the hill towards Wilde's Meadow.)
Although Burrawang was very isolated, the early townspeople seem to have made an extra effort to be sociable and community minded.
The first agricultural "shows" were held in Burrawang, as were horse races, cricket matches, and a well-supported 'School of Arts' - still active and supported by the community today.
They were also industrious, with sawmills, a butter factory, flour mill, bacon curing, and the first printing works in the Highlands.
At the end of the nineteenth century, Burrawang had a reputation as a vibrant and progressive community.
For the next half century Burrawang, like many rural areas, was the centre of farming activity and a local shopping centre for basic supplies, drifting off into the quiet backwaters of the Highlands as the larger towns prospered.
School of Arts (1890)
Burrawang still gives the impression of being a sleepy backwater. Indeed, there seems little apart from the hotel and the store in the main street.
The actual population of the town was about 160 at the last census.
However, in the surrounding area there are many farms - on one of these coloured sheep provide fine knitting yarn for Burrawool. There are also hobby farms for the urban refugee, where most people reside.
Burrawang today is in fact something of an exclusive getaway for people from the city - an artists' colony, weekend retreat for executives, retirement haven.
Land prices (for even modest weatherboard houses) are regularly amongst the highest in the region.
What attracts these modern settlers? The peace and quiet and beauty of the village and its surrounding countryside for a start.
And perhaps its sense of isolation - only 15 minutes from Bowral or Moss Vale - or a few hours from the city - but a real sense of being miles from anywhere.